The Main Street Academy should be notified immediately, either in advance or within five (5) days of the absence, if a student is going to be absent from school. Report absences via email to [email protected] and include the following details with the email notifications
- Student Name
- Student FCS ID Number (lunch number)
- Parent/Guardian Name
- Parent/Guardian Email & Phone Number
- Reason for excuse
- After three (3) consecutive ill/sick absences, a doctor’s note may be required
- After 10 late arrivals or early checkouts, a doctor’s note may be required
- Preapproval of absences due to family events or other reasons must be sent 5 days in advance
- Any student who accumulates seven (7) or more days of absence for any reason (this excludes days accumulated during an Assigned Remote designation
The following are excused absences:
- Personal illness or when attendance in school would be detrimental to the health of the student or others
- A serious illness in the student’s immediate family necessitating absence from school
- A death in the student’s family necessitating absence from school
- Students are excused for up to 4 days due to the death of an immediate family member
- Students are excused for up to 2 days due to the death of a non-immediate family member
- Observance of religious holidays necessitating absence from school
- Compliance with a court order or an order issued by a governmental agency mandating an absence from school
- Visitation with an immediate family member who is on leave from or is being deployed to military service
- Important family events/celebrations for an immediate family member (graduation, wedding, religious ceremony, etc.)
- Compliance with an order for a pre-induction physical examination for service in the armed forces
- A specialized, supplemental, or extracurricular program/event
- Other absences pre-approved by the principal
Students are expected to demonstrate a commitment to on-time school attendance. Unexcused tardiness is unacceptable, as it interrupts classroom learning for both the tardy student and the other students in the class. An unexcused tardy is defined as the student not being in his or her classroom at the start of the school day without a valid, documented excuse. If a student accumulates more than three unexcused tardies in a school year, the student is considered chronically tardy. This may result in the following corrective actions: warning; counseling; detention; family/school meeting; or an attendance contract. If chronic tardiness continues after the first corrective action is taken, resulting in three or more additional tardies, TMSA may take additional action, including but not limited to suspension or expulsion of the student.
Parents are expected to make every effort to adhere to regular dismissal times.
NO STUDENT MAY BE PICKED UP FOR EARLY AFTERNOON DISMISSAL AFTER 2:15 P.M.
IF A PARENT ATTEMPTS TO HAVE A STUDENT DISMISSED BETWEEN 2:15 P.M. AND 3:30 P.M.THE PARENT WILL BE REFERRED TO THE CARLINE TO PICK UP SUCH STUDENT AT REGULAR DISMISSAL TIMES.
If a child needs to be dismissed early, the parent must call the school at 404-768-0081 a minimum of one (1) hour in advance or send a note to the school with your child. Only authorized adults whose names are on file in the main office may pick up the child. All adults must be prepared to present a valid ID. Parents must ensure that enrollment information includes the names and telephone numbers of adults who may pick up their children and update the information if their family situations change. It is understood that on occasion, it may be necessary for a parent to pick up his/her child before the end of the school day. It is critical that these occurrences are kept to a minimum.