March 12, 2020
Dear TMSA Parents, Guardians, and Staff -
At 5:30 P.M. today, the Fulton County Board of Education (BOE) conducted an emergency phone board meeting, whereupon Dr. Mike Looney, Superintendent of Fulton County Schools (FCS), announced the indefinite closure of all schools in the district (including The Main Street Academy, a public Fulton County charter school) until further notice (no time period was specified, but it’s anticipated to be two weeks) effective midnight Friday, March 13, 2020. This is an unprecedented course of action in response to the spread of COVID-19, coronavirus. Please click here to hear an audio recording from the BOE meeting.
Shortly after the conclusion of the Fulton County BOE meeting, TMSA’s Governing Board held a previously scheduled emergency board meeting to ensure the following points are successfully communicated to the TMSA community inclusive of parents, guardians, teachers, staff and administrators:
- TMSA is adhering to Fulton County BOE’s guidelines; as such, TMSA is closed indefinitely to students beginning Friday, March 13, 2020.
- All TMSA teachers are reporting to school as scheduled for Teachers' Workday on Friday, March 13, 2020 at 8:30 A.M. (previously scheduled parent/teacher conferences will be rescheduled). During which time teachers will receive additional distance learning training. Please note that a comprehensive distance learning plan will be shared with TMSA parents/guardians and students in the very near future as TMSA is committed to the education of our scholars during the school’s closure.
- During TMSA’s closure, all field trips, extracurricular activities/trips are cancelled (this includes, but isn’t limited to, the District V Band Festival, debate team tournaments, spring play rehearsals, and track & field meets).
- TMSA’s Before and After School Program is cancelled during closure.
- Over 50% of TMSA’s student body receives free or reduced lunch, plans are being developed to ensure scholars receive uninterrupted lunch meals during the school’s closure. More details will be available in the near future.
- Maintaining a healthy and clean environment is of paramount importance. Although TMSA is cleaned and disinfected daily, more rigorous disinfecting will occur over this period. During our school’s closure, our service provider, The Service Fort, will clean our school with cloth immersion and spray delivery methods using Ecolab manufactured cleaning products and disinfectants with Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved emerging viral pathogens claims.
TMSA is committed to the safety and health of our scholars and staff. We will continue to partner with and adhere to FCS’s guidelines as they pertain to COVID-19. Please stay posted for important TMSA updates that will be shared via various communications mediums including tmsa.org, email, text alerts, and social media.