Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT) 8/9
(for TMSA 8th graders)
Tuesday, November 12, 2019
Special thanks to TMSA parents and guardians who have already paid for PSAT testing. If you haven't already paid for PSAT testing, please pay by Sept. 30, 2019.
Important Items to Remember:
- The cost is $7, pay through Schoolbucks by September 30, 2019
Tests will only be ordered based on the number of paid students
- Sign up with your student’s homeroom teacher by September 30, 2019
- The duration of the test is 2 hours and 25 minutes, so please arrive to TMSA by 7:45 A.M. on test day
Why should your 8th grade student take the PSAT?
- Magnet and private schools often use PSAT scores for admittance.
- It offers an opportunity to see your student’s progress relative to college preparation.
- Students will take the PSAT in 11th grade to qualify for the National Merit Scholarship. Practice will help to improve your student’s score and understanding of the test.
- PSAT has partnered with Khan Academy to provide personalized practice for free (for students 13 years old and older). This helps to prepare for other tests in the SAT Suite of Assessments.
- The PSAT tests the same skills and knowledge as the SAT.
- Access to career roadmaps, which help students see where their interests can take them.
Resources for parents and students
Please review the information provided by the College Board, below, about the PSAT. Sample questions as well as important strategies and resources are provided at: