TMSA 2020 - 2021 Re-Opening Updates
Updated: July 16, 2020
On July 16, 2020, Fulton County Schools Superintendent Dr. Mike Looney officially announced all schools in the district will adhere to the universal remote learning environment at the onset of the 2020 - 2021 academic school year as COVID-19 continues to spread throughout our communities. As a result, The Main Street Academy will adhere to the universal remote learning environment beginning on our first day of school - August 11, 2020 for grades K - 8. At this time FCS has not announced the timeframe of virtual learning (one quarter, one semester, etc.). Thank you to all TMSA parents and guardians who submitted the TMSA Individual Remote Leaning (IRL) Form by the deadline and in advance of Dr. Looney's announcement today. At this juncture, there is no need to submit the IRL Form by the July 17th deadline as all TMSA students are included in the universal remote learning environment announced by Dr. Looney today.
TMSA is committed to providing you with timely updates regarding our school's 2020 - 2021 re-opening as they become available and we appreciate your support and understanding during these unprecedented times.
Click here to view Dr. Looney's complete announcement.
On Monday, June 29, 2020 Superintendent Dr. Mike Looney announced that Fulton County Schools (FCS) students and staff will report back to school for the 2020 - 2021 academic school year in a traditional face-to-face instruction and work with modified social distancing and cleaning practices in place. The Main Street Academy's Governing Board approved to adhere to FCS's 2020 - 2021 school re-opening plan during the May 2020 Governing Board Meeting with some exceptions that were approved during the June 2020 Governing Board Meeting. The exceptions are as follows:
- The Main Street Academy's first day of school for the 2020 - 2021 academic school year is Tuesday, August 11, 2020 (previously August 4, 2020). This date is subject to change as it's based on changing COVID-19 conditions.
- All TMSA faculty, staff, administrators, visitors, and students (masks do not have to match school sanctioned uniforms) will be required to wear a mask or face shield at all times while on campus. Student(s) will have to take advantage of the Individual Remote Learning if parent/guardians opt from having them wear mandatory mask/face shield to school.
- Social distancing and frequent hand washing & sanitizing will be implemented on campus. Hand sanitizing stations will be accessible in the school's hallways.
- Outdoor PPE (personal protective equipment) breaks will be built into students' schedules.
- TMSA has public health signage displayed throughout the school.
- Students, faculty, staff and administrators are not allowed to come to school sick (no circumstances).
- All TMSA after school sports and extracurricular activities are cancelled this fall
- TMSA will continue to provide the before and after school program for the 2020 - 2021 academic school year.
- TMSA parents/guardians have the choice to opt out of face-to-face instruction and opt for Individual Remote Learning (IRL). IRL is available for first - eighth (1 - 8) grade students for an initial commitment of one scholastic quarter (9 weeks). Parents/guardians who opt for IRL must complete and submit the TMSA Individual Remote Learning Form (specifically for TMSA) on or by July 17, 2020 (IRL cancellation is permitted during the enrollment period)
- Individual Remote Learning (IRL) will occur during standard school hours for students to interact and receive instruction from teachers. Additionally, households adhering to IRL have the option of pre-ordering and picking up meals from the school for students to eat.
- Principal Parker will host live, virtual information sessions on Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 10:00 AM and Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 6:00 PM for TMSA parents and guardians to gain additional details about TMSA's re-opening and to ask questions. Please note that Principal Parker is hosting a separate meeting for incoming kindergarten parents/guardians as the re-opening model for this class will slightly vary from grades 1 - 8.